Outstanding Human Services Student
This award is presented to a student member of NOHS who has demonstrated a significant contribution to the field of human services during the time degree completion. The student should be nominated by a person in a professional capacity (i.e., college/university faculty or employee of social service organization). Examples of activities considered for this award might include one or more of the following.
- Scholarship (publications, completed research projects, presentations at professional conferences), that has made a contribution to the human services profession
- Significant involvement in regional and/or national human services professional organizations (e.g., NOHS) believed to have made/is making an important contribution to the organization(s)
- Significant involvement in a human services agency that has demonstrated an important contribution to that organization and the clients it serves
Required documents for the award should include the following:
- A letter of support from the nominating person indicating how the individual has accomplished one or more of the above
- A resume from the person being nominated that includes accomplishments
- One or more additional letters of support from professionals who know the work of the individual and can testify to the nominee’s accomplishments. Letters from persons such as relatives and neighbors are not acceptable.
- Other documents, as desired, that provide evidence of the accomplishments such as conference programs where the nominee has presented, copy of publications, and reports of completed research.
Your application will be evaluated on the following criteria using a five-point scale where 5 = Outstanding and 1 = Doesn’t Meet
- Current Student Member of NOHS
- A complete application packet with no late materials
- Letter from a nominating professional attesting to accomplishments that makes the student stand out from other students
- Letter (s) from additional professionals attesting to the accomplishments that make the student stand out from other students
- Resume that include student’s complete mailing address, telephone and email
- Resume should reveal accomplishments in academic excellence. Information on professional activities are encouraged
Application materials must be submitted by May 1 to be considered. All application materials should be submitted electronically to Dr. Tammi Milliken at firstname.lastname@example.org with the exception of the transcripts which should be mailed to:
Dr. Tammi Milliken
Counseling and Human Services
Darden School of Education
Old Dominion University
Norfolk, VA 23529